Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I Am Not Tolerant

Yes, you read that right.  I am not not tolerant.  I am intolerant.  A bigot, by the definition of some.  And quite honestly, I'm perfectly fine with being intolerant.  Why?  Well for one, because no one has ever actually made a good case for being universally tolerant.  Allow me to explain:



Ever seen one of these coexist bumper stickers?  They're quite rampant on the bumpers of young, progressive-minded people, and represent a general ethos that drives the moral attitude of the modern age: tolerance.  I understand the intention behind the advocates of tolerance.  They want us to appreciate everyone else, to understand and recognize the differences of other people without prejudice.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  There is, however, something very wrong with being tolerant (or at least in the sense that most people have taken it).  At first glance, there are many desirable traits about being tolerant, namely the fact that it prevents everyone from breaking down into bloody conflict.  However, after that, it seems the benefit seem to run thing.  While being tolerant of might prevent me from shooting my neighbor, it will also inevitably prevent me from disagreeing with him, and that is deplorable.

Tolerance's biggest problem is that its biggest enemy is conflict.  To a person who is preaching tolerance, the worse possible sin is conflict, usually a conflict that results in some form of suppression or oppression. However, conflict is not man's greatest sin.  Rather, the capacity for conflict is man's one redeeming quality.  The fact that man can fight shows that he has something worth fighting for.  By denying him the ability to fight, you deny him the value of those things which he fights for.  Yeah, you might prevent person A from stabbing person B, but you inadvertently prevent them from recognizing that they have something worth fighting for.  By telling the Christian and the Muslim that their religions are only subjectively valuable and have no objective value, you insult both people by taking away the dignity of  both faiths.
Oh the irony...

Its good to fight.  I'll say it again, it's good to fight.  No, its not good to kill, nor is it good to be hateful, or harmful, but by God, it's good to fight.  G.K. Chesterton once said, "A good soldier fights not because he hates what's in front of him, but because he loves what's behind him."  We have to fight, not because we hate, but because we love.  Conflict has to erupt in our lives, conflict with others, and even conflict within ourselves.  We have to love something, someone, and we have to love them with enough ferocity to fight off the universe if we have to.  Why?  Because that's what we were made for.  We were made to love, and if we are truly going to love, then we're truly going to fight for that love.

Thus, I'm intolerant, not because I hate, but because I love.  I love Truth, I love Justice, I love virtue, and most of all, I love Jesus Christ.  Therefore, I can't be tolerant.  I can (and will) be charitable, merciful, and kind, but by God, I will not be tolerant.  I will fight for what I love, because there are things worth fighting for.  You can call me intolerant, but you'll never be able to call me apathetic.



No comments:

Post a Comment